CECorps Committee Member Position Description
All Community Engineering Corps (CECorps) projects follow a rigorous process to provide a professional standard of care and appropriate response to community needs. While all project team deliverables are submitted to CECorps for a comprehensive review, the quality of the work product is ultimately the responsibility of the project team.
Description and Responsibilities
The Technical Review Committee (TRC) plays a crucial role in reviewing volunteer project team’s technical deliverables to ensure their compatibility with standard engineering practices and that they are fulfilling the community’s engineering request.
In particular, TRC Reviewers:
• Ensure that project team deliverables are of high quality, consider the regulatory constraints of a project, and protects and preserves the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
• Provide critical feedback on the project team’s deliverables (work plan, engineering service agreement, and engineering reports and/or design).
• Review deliverables prior to the project team’s presentation of the work products to the community.
• Are accountable to their fellow reviewers for providing a timely review; to the project teams for providing transparent feedback; and ultimately to the community in providing a professional standard of care.
Qualifications and Requirements
TRC reviewers are individuals committed to the CECorps mission who have extensive experience in a field of engineering or other discipline(s) (e.g., management, water treatment plant operations, etc.) that is relevant to the project.
Required experience and qualifications include:
• At least four years’ experience in infrastructure analysis, management, operation, or design
• Professional licensure (including but not limited to PE, PLS, or Operator Certification)
• Active membership with the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), American Water Works Association (AWWA), or Engineers Without Borders USA (EWB-USA)
The average monthly time commitment is between 0 and 10 hours. Volunteer effort varies depending on the number of active CECorps projects and where they are in within their scope of work.
Each TRC member must hold an active professional membership with of one of the three CECorps partner organizations: American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), American Water Works Association (AWWA), or Engineers Without Borders USA (EWB-USA). The membership fee is the only financial commitment the TRC reviewer is required to make.